Things you may like to know about Woodingdean – for people who already live here – or for people who are thinking of moving here
20 things about Woodingdean - updated August 2023
- The name Woodingdean is derived from the Saxon word denu which meant ‘Little valley’ Woodendean was, according to Wikipedia the name of a ‘former farm at the southern end of the modern suburb’
- The total estimated population of Woodingdean is 9773 51% women and 49% men.
- According the to the 2011 census there are 3,924 households in Woodingdean
- 32% of the households have dependent children
- The BBC weather link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6690584
- There are two primary schools in Woodingdean: Woodingdean Primary school (https://www.woodingdean.brighton-hove.sch.uk/ ) Warren Rd, Brighton, Brighton and Hove, Brighton BN2 6BB and Rudyard Kipling (https://www.rudyardkiplingprimary.co.uk/ ) Chalkland Rise, Woodingdean, Brighton BN2 6RH
- You can check Woodingdean Primary School Holidays at https://www.woodingdean.brighton-hove.sch.uk/News/School-Term-Dates/ You can check Rudyard Kipling school holiday dates https://www.rudyardkiplingprimary.co.uk/parent-info/calendar/
- Woodingdean Well is the ‘deepest hand dug well in the world’. The well is positioned to the left of the main entrance to the Nuffield Hospital on Warren Road, Woodingdean. https://www.woodingdeaninbusiness.co.uk/blog/where-is-the-woodingdean-well/
- The Woodingdean Well is as deep as the empire state building is high (1,285 feet or 392m)
- The Nuffield Hospital on Warren Road was opened in 1995 – it has 35 en-suite bedrooms and an onsite pathology lab.
- You can find out about house prices in Woodingdean by visiting https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/woodingdean.html - as at
- Woodingdean in Business is a local business and community website – it has approximately 500 visitors a month
- The following Facebook pages are about Woodingdean: - https://www.facebook.com/woodingdeaninbusiness, Woodingdean open Community Chat, neighbourhood watch https://www.facebook.com/WoodingdeanNBHW https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodingdean/112228772127175
- You can see Woodingdean on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woodingdean
- There are a number of places to eat in Woodingdean you can see a list here http://www.woodingdeaninbusiness.co.uk/blog/where-to-eat-in-woodingdean/
- The Woodingdean Carnival is an annual event, usually taking place end June/Early July on the Woodingdean Primary school field. You can check out the Facebook page for details https://www.facebook.com/Woodingdeancarnival or visit their page on the Woodingean Community Website
- The Woodingdean Carnival has been happening annually in Woodingdean since 1967.
- Woodingdean Crime statistics are published monthly by Sussex Police and can be seen here http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbourhood/Sussex_Police/Woodingdean
- Woodingdean Neighbourhood watch is run by local volunteers – it is a thriving organisation – you can follow them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WoodingdeanNBHW/?fref=nf
- Woodingdean Library on Warren Road bn2 6BAand has a mix of staffed and Libraries extra (unstaffed) days. The library has books and audio books, free wifi, computers, a scanner and a printer. Check out current opening hours
The team at Woodingdeaninbusiness will continue to update this information – if there is anything you would like us to include – please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org